Environment and Planning
embracing sustainable development
If you have any queries on environment and planning issues contact our expert team today.
Frequently a business’s most valuable asset is its land and buildings. The key factor in the value of the land and buildings is what planning use the business can lawfully put it to and what restrictions in the form of legal conditions, constraints or planning obligations exist in relation to the land and buildings. Our experienced lawyers understand both practical and legal aspects of Irish planning law and policy and how to use the system to its best advantage. We look to understand your business needs and aims and draw on our extensive experience to offer you quality legal and strategic advice in order to ensure that you get the best planning outcome for you and your business.
Environment and planning issues are becoming more and more important from both a national and international perspective. Your business needs to constantly change in order to keep up with the greater demands in relation to environmental governance and regulation. Issues such as pollution or contamination, habitat protection, climate change, sustainability, energy efficiency, waste minimisation and use of renewables have become the focus of legislation at national, European and international level.
Directors and other officers of companies can no longer ignore these issues as non-compliance may lead to stricter criminal liability and significant financial and repetitional issues.
We regularly advise clients on:
- Planning applications and appeals.
- Planning obligations and agreements.
- Planning policy and strategic planning.
- Enforcement, prosecutions and appeals.
- Permitted development and changes of use.
- Statutory challenges/High Court appeals.
- Public rights of way.
- Building regulations.
- Conservation areas.
- Listed buildings.
- Boundary disputes and trees, hedgerows and fences.
- General planning advice.
Our lawyers understand and have in-depth legal understanding of environment and planning law both nationally and internationally.
Recent highlights of work ;
- Successfully defending an action in Court against a developer in relation to a housing estate and an action by a local authority to have the housing estate knocked down on foot of enforcement proceedings.
- Successfully compromising a dispute for a developer against a local authority in relation to the validity and enforceability of a social housing condition in respect of a residential development.
- Successfully compromising a High Court action in relation to a windfarm and the use of a right of way adjacent to a residential home.
- Advising a client in relation to a golf course development and the habitats directive and public rights of way.